Kakuone in Neovim, LazyVim on Hacker News, updates from AstroNvim, NormalNvim, Lvim and 12 new plugins
Hello everyone 👋
This week we have news from 4 different Neovim distributions, 12 new plugins, interesting articles and guides. Hope you enjoy!
Updates of Neovim itself, which are available on Neovim nightly.
- feat(options)!: remove compatible behaviours for vim 5.0 and earlier 881d17
- feat(lsp)!: rename vim.lsp.get_active_clients to get_clients 1b9ccd
- feat(lsp): implement textDocument/diagnostic (#24128) 63b340
Neovim Plugin Community
Neovim is full of active plugins. This section is about the community and what is going on.
Resources & articles
Why modality and chording?
Some notes on text editing by noctuid
Modality and chording are not mutually exclusive. They both have a good use case and can be used together. Even if they don’t realize it, Emacs and Vim generally don’t exclusively stick to one model.
The article covers:
- Why modality and chording?
- Why Vim’s Modal System?
- Why not Kakoune?
- Why not other Emacs packages?
It's an interesting read, you can view the full article here
What is the best neovim setup? Lets build it
Educational YouTube video setting up a Neovim configuration with LazyVim
🌒 Nord for Neovim, but warmer and darker. Supports a variety of plugins and other platforms.
A beautiful new colorscheme based on Nord and built for Neovim!
🧶 Automatically save your changes in NeoVim
auto-save.nvim is a lua plugin for automatically saving your changed buffers in Neovim. Forked from auto-save.nvim as active development has stopped.
An asynchronous, multitasking, and highly configurable formatting plugin.
Formatting and Linting are a hot discussion since the archiving of null-ls, and format.nvim is another take on formatting for Neovim. Take a look!
First select, then edit. A helix/kakoune-like editing in neovim
In nvim, you do
c3w. Ah no! It was wrong, let's retry:
uc5w... wooops! Sorry, it is still wrong:
In Kakoune (which inspired Helix), you do the opposite:
3w. First select 3 words, then you see you still need three words, so
3w. Then finally
d for deleting. In visual.nvim (and Helix), this actually becomes
-3w3wd, with the
- used for "extending" selections.
First select, then edit. This should be the way.
If you have been tempted by Kakoune and Helix editors, this may be your new plugin!
Generate markdown table of contents
This is a great plugin if you're writing a lot of markdown documents, automatically generate a Table of Contents based on the headings.
Pretty quickfix/location view for Neovim
qfview.nvim makes your quickfix/location window look nicer and function better. Meant to be the successor of nvim-pqf.
- Works with both quickfix and location window
- Consistent, aligned, shorter text display
- Highlights for the item type (error, warning, etc)
- Same file based folding
- Should play well with other plugins
A minimal plugin to interact with Google Bard in Neovim
A neovim plugin to tunnell text from neovim to a tmux target pane, written in Lua.
One use case is having the comfort of editing code in neovim, while tunnelling it to a REPL to code iteractively.
Plan and Explore your terraform resources from nvim
If you do a lot of terraform manifests, and you would like to see quickly the current state of your objects or how the plan would look like, this plugin is for you.
A stripped down VimWiki for neovim
With kiwi.nvim, you can:
- Organize notes and ideas
- Manage to-do lists
- Write documentation
- Maintain a diary
- Write blog posts to Hugo and Astro
A very simple plugin that allows multiple custom vim.ui.open handlers to co-exist
A very simple plugin that allows multiple custom vim.ui.open handlers to co-exist, allowing you to extend gx while retaining the default behaviour.
LazyVim was top of Hacker News
Neovim config for the lazy
LazyVim was at the top of Hacker News this past week, and the post was heavily commented.
AstroNvim reaches 10k stars and releases v2 of AstroTheme
AstroNvim is an aesthetic and feature-rich neovim config that is extensible and easy to use with a great set of plugins
AstroNvim reaches 10k+ stars, 200+ plugins and releases v2 of AstroTheme - the theme provided by default in AstroNvim.
The AstroCommunity project grew to >200 entries (>150 individual Neovim plugins and >40 full language packs)!
Congratulations on the huge success, take a look at the Reddit post for more details!
Lvim IDE v4 released
LVIM IDE is a modular Neovim configuration written in LUA with full customization
- LSP support for 60+ languages
- Linters with efm (“golangci-lint”, “rubocop”, “flake8”, “cpplint”, “yamllint”, “vint”)
- Formatters with efm (“stylua”, “yamlfmt”, “shfmt”, “cbfmt”, “prettierd”)
- Automatically install dependencies (lsp servers, linters, formatters, debbugers) by filetype
Current version - 4.0.00 was released on 2023-07-03 and contains 125 plugins
NormalNvim v2.2 released
A normal NeoVim config
This week NormalNvim released v2.2 of their Neovim distribution. The features include:
- Plugins are loaded lazily, providing super fast performance.
- Plugins are self-contained: Allowing you to easily delete what you don't want.
- Batteries included: Most plugins you will ever need are included and debugged by default. Get the best user experience out of the box and forget about nasty bugs in your Neovim config.
- Plugin version lock: You can choose "stable" or "nightly" update channels. Or if you prefer, use
:NvimFreezePluginVersionsto create your own stable versions!
- Rollbacks: You can easily recover from a nvim distro update using :NvimRollbackRestore
- Hot reload: Every time you change something in your config, the changes are reflected on nvim on real time without need to restart.
- Phone friendly: Good usability even on small screens.
- Alternative mappings: By default the distro uses qwerty, but colemak-dh can be found here.
- We don't treat you like you are stupid: Code comments guide you to easily customize everything. We will never hide or abstract stuff from you.
lspsaga.nvim, dashboard-nvim & zephyr.nvim move to nvimdev
glepnir, the author of several popular Neovim plugins, moved their Neovim related projects to a new home at nvimdev. Make sure you update your config accordingly! At nvimdev you can find 55 interesting Neovim related projects so make sure you take a look and give glepnir a follow!
wiki.vim v0.8 released
A wiki plugin for Vim
wiki.vim is a Vim plugin for writing and maintaining a personal wiki. The plugin was initially based on vimwiki, but it is written mostly from scratch and is based on a more "do one thing and do it well" philosophy.
Add your the plugin in either of the following to be featured in This Week in Neovim and Dotfyle:
Contribute to the development of Dotfyle: